Herreshoff Buzzards Bay and Watch Hill 15
The Buzzards Bay 15 was designed by Nathanael Greene Herreshoff in 1898 for members of the Beverly Yacht Club in Marion, MA. These gaff rigged keel/centerboard knockabouts were known as the E-Class. Several later variations include the Newport 15 which had an increased draft of 3″ and the Watch Hill 15 which maintained the original 2’6″ draft but adopted a Marconi rig and slightly higher sheer at the aft end.
Additionally, Herreshoff built a full-keel version of the Buzzards Bay 15 that was intended for more comfortable daysailing. The Full-Keel 15 has an increased displacement of 2500 lbs, a wider and more spacious cockpit, and a self-tacking rig with no running backstays. These boats are thrilling sailors. They are fast, stiff, and responsive. The hull is slippery, and even at speed such little turbulence is created that the boat leaves virtually no wake. As with all Artisan Boatworks custom replicas, we work together with our customers to create a true replica; tastefully and discretely employing appropriate modern technology and materials in ways that increase safety and longevity, reduce maintenance, and improve performance and usability.
With the many variations and configurations available, the Herreshoff 15 has become our most popular design, and whether competing in classic yacht regattas or family daysailing, a Buzzards Bay or Watch Hill 15 promises to become a cherished family heirloom for generations to come.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, contact Alec Brainerd at (207) 542-0372.
LOA: 24′ 6″
Beam: 6′ 8″
Draft: 2′ 6″ Displacement: 2,200 lbs Sail Area: 330 sq ft
Standard Features and Accessories
– Edge-glued cedar planking over steam bent oak frames
– Marine plywood bulkheads & deck, laminated mahogany backbone
– Bronze fasteners throughout, and hardware by JM Reineck & Son
– Sitka Spruce Spars (gaff or marconi rigged)
– Sails by Nat Wilson or loft of owners choice, Sunbrella covers
– Varnished Mahogany transom, coamings, seats, rails, and trim
– Bare teak cockpit sole
– Choice of paint colors, boat’s name hand painted in gold leaf
– Shaw & Tenny paddle & boathook
– Life Jackets, anchor, bilge pump, and required safety equipment
– 3-year warranty on all materials and workmanship
– Epoxy composite construction
– Galvanized Triad Boat Trailer
– Cockpit cover
– 24v Mastervolt electric propulsion system
– Carbon fiber mast
– Spinnaker with varnished pole and rigging
– Complete seasonal mooring to mooring storage and maintenance services