Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 18
Only 5 Buzzards Bay 18s were built by the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company during the winter of 1903/1904 for the Beverly Yacht Club where they were known as the K Class. Artisan Boatworks’ Buzzards Bay 18 features edge-glued cedar planking over steam-bent oak frames with a laminated mahogany backbone. Optional auxiliary power by a Beta 14-hp inboard diesel is completely hidden from view within the cabin. GMT Composites of Rhode Island designed and built the carbon-fiber mast, which is faux painted to simulate Sitka spruce, of which the booms and gaff are constructed. The carbon mast allows the BB18 to be sailed without running backstays. This feature, in combination with a full-length jib club, makes the entire rig easy to singlehand.
The Artisan-built BB 18, BESHERTE, recently won 1st place at the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta (Gaff & Schooner Division) in 2018 and 1st place in the Camden Classic Cup (Daysailer Division) in 2019. Whether competing in the classic yacht regattas or leisurely daysailing with grandkids, the Buzzards Bay 18 promises to be a cherished family heirloom.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, contact Alec Brainerd at (207) 542-0372.
Beam: 8′ 1″
Draft: 3′ 11″ Displacement: 4700 lbs Sail Area: 472 sq ft
Standard Features and Accessories
– Edge-glued cedar planking over bent oak frames and a laminated mahogany backbone
– Bronze fasteners throughout, and hardware by JM Reineck & Son
– Faux bois carbon mast by GMT Composites, boom and gaff varnished sitka spruce
– Sails by Nat Wilson or loft of owner’s choice, with Sunbrella covers
– Varnished mahogany transom, coamings, rails, seats, and trim
– Bare teak cockpit sole
– Choice of paint colors, boat’s name hand painted with gold leaf
– Shaw & Tenny paddle and boathook
– Life jackets, anchor with rode, electric bilge pump, and all required safety equipment
– 3-year warranty on all materials and workmanship
– Epoxy composite construction
– Galvanized Triad Boat Trailer
– Cockpit cover
– Beta 14 HP diesel engine with insulated box and associated systems
– 24v Mastervolt Electric propulsion system
– Spinnaker with varnished pole and rigging
– Complete mooring to mooring seasonal storage and maintenance services